Pages

Weightlifting World Record breaks By Great Grandfather Doug Williams

As a great-grandfather, Doug Williams might be probable to put his feet up at home and not be breaking weightlifting world records. 
But the father of Commonwealth Games gold medal winner Ray Williams has done just that, setting an over-70s weightlifting world record. 
He lifted 165kg - the equal of a baby elephant - at the European Masters event in Coventry, beating a mark that had stood for 17 years by 4kg. 
Mr Williams, 71, only took up the sport aged 50. 
"I was going down with Ray into the gym and instead of sitting there I had a little bit of a go and I just took it up," said Mr Williams, who trains at Holyhead Weightlifting Club. 
"It's startling what I could have done and gone on to do had I taken it up earlier." 
His son, Ray Williams, said: "It should be the dad watching his son lift but it's been me coaching my dad. 
"The pride through all our family is massive. It's amazing." 
Ray's brother Gary was a British winner weightlifter at junior level and his sister was also a Welsh champion.He said: "There must be something in the water. 
It's obviously to do with genetics, we're all small and have an innate determination."

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails